Saturday, September 29, 2007

Up Early - Cleaning Up My Database


Well I've taken a break from actually expanding my family tree looking for more grandparents etc. There are times when you just need to do some housekeeping and clean up the database.

I was sitting on a bunch of images I had scanned back in April and some that I had scanned back in 1997 (yikes!). Some were of gravestones taken during a field trip with my mother back in 1999 in Fonda, NY. I have lots of interesting information about the Putmans who settled in Montgomery County after the Schenectady Massacre of 1689 - but that will have to wait for another posting.

The image above is of my 2nd Great Grandmother, Catherine O'Keefe Austin - the daughter of Catherine Sullivan O'Keefe (mentioned in yesterday's post). Catherine O'Keefe Austin was the mother of John Ralph Austin and grew up in Lowville, NY. Around 1905, the family of William Dence Austin (his wife Catherine and sons Maurice, Harry, Robert, John and William) all moved down to the Bronx. They are frequently mentioned in the Lowville Journal-Republican newspaper as making visits to their grandmother, Catherine Sullivan O'Keefe. Confused yet? Well imagine how I had to figure out that there were really two Catherine O'Keefes! So I use the maiden name in the middle when writing which makes it much easier.

The photo above was taken around 1941 and Catherine O'Keefe Austin died on November 8, 1946 at the age of 84.

No comments: