What is A Catskill Christmas? The concept: a private, not-for-sale, line of Christmas decorations. I am not sure if I want to pursue this as a side enterprise or eventually make the items public and for sale. In the meantime, I am returning to an endeavor that I pursued almost 15 years ago when one year I made all my own decorations for Christmas. When I moved from California, I either sold, gave away or donated all the ornaments I had made since I knew they were too fragile to weather a cross-country move to Chicago. Since we will be putting up a 9 foot live tree this year, I knew I needed a lot of ornaments and that I better start early.
The blog: a way of documenting the creative process and reinforcing the following stylistic concepts:
- Items are individually hand-crafted.
- Emphasis on plant, mineral and animal based items (dried flowers, moss, twigs, gold, bronze, copper, nuts, feathers).
- Absolutely no use of plastic.
- No modern day or religious iconograhy (no Disney, no Nativity, etc.) but more secular icons (St. Nicholas or angels) is Permitted.
- Emphasis on sense of smell - use of cinnamon, nutmeg, beeswax.
- Colors used will be greens, golds, coppers, browns, oranges predominantly.
- Avoid use of purples, yellow, bright reds.
- Create hang tags with info on item, name of website, etc.
Please take a minute and give a look if you can. As of this weekend I've created the following ornaments and I'll be posting pictures and instructions on A Catskill Christmas from now until Christmas:
- Cabinet Photo Ornaments
- Cinnamon Stick Bundles
- Copper Pine Cones
- Fruit, Spice and Herb Swags
- Gilded Walnut Garlands
- Glitter Glass Pine Cones
- Mini-Rose Bud Balls
- Moss Balls with Cedar Roses
- Peacock Feather Fans
- Pheasant Feather Fans