Monday, April 7, 2008

I'll Throw My Hat In The Ring

As Jasia said, as long as we genea-bloggers are being silly and playing games tonite (and having fun), I'll join in. I christen this meme as The Hat Trick!



Remember when a woman wouldn't be caught dead leaving the house without a hat, let alone hat and gloves? These dames remind me of some of my great aunts and cousins when I grew up: crazy hats, lots of wild costume jewelry, and they'd get all gussied up even just to go down to the diner and swap gossip over some coffee and a few packs of Lucky Strikes.



You just know they are talking about some woman who wasn't wearing a hat.



Nowadays, anything can pass for a hat. I realize she was going for that Dutch Masters, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Vermeer look but you'd think she could do better than a plastic bag from Piggly Wiggly. Right now I can hear my great-grandmother's ghost snapping off a witty comment: "You know what they say girls, hats always make a difference!"

This concludes The Hat Trick. Now back to your previously scheduled programming.

Extra bonus points if you can find all the colons in this post.

1 comment:

Lidian said...

I do love old photos, and old photos with women wearing awful retro hats are even better!