Friday, May 2, 2008

Two New Northern NY Newspapers Added - And They're Free!

I don't know about you but this is exciting news for me! I was working on my Carnival of Genealogy post yesterday and checking my sources and references. At the Northern New York Historical Newspapers website, where I perform searches of the Lowville Journal & Republican, 1860-1940, I noticed a new addition: The Lewis County Democrat, 1867-1906.

I have been looking for more upstate New York newspapers to come on line, even in non-searchable image format. But just like the other newspapers at their site, the Northern New York Library Network has scanned these issues as text searchable!

They have also recently added the Plattsburgh Daily Press, 1931-1942 (Clinton County). If you are researching ancestors who migrated from New England over to the Midwest, more than likely they may have lived for a period in this part of New York. Go check these newspapers out and best of all, it's free!

1 comment:

Kathryn Doyle said...

Thanks! Great resource, Thomas. I found some LASKARIS references.