Saturday, July 5, 2008

Brick Wall Update

I was thinking last night about some of my "brick walls" or "road blocks" in my genealogy research. Some I've had for years and others just cropped up. While I am hitting my head against these barriers to expanding my tree back a few generations, I thought that I just need to put them in writing - get them into a blog post every few weeks and perhaps another researcher will come across them. So here goes:

DENCE

William Dence was my 5th great-grandfather. I descend along the Dence line as follows:

William Dence (1778 - 1862)
David Dence (1802 - 1841)
Hannah or Huldah Dence (1834 - 1907)
William Dence Austin (1863 - 1932)
John Ralph Austin (1896 - 1976)
Alfred Austin (1916 - 1984)
Jacqueline Austin (private)
Thomas MacEntee (private)

The Dence name may be Welsh in origin and may have variations such as Dens, Denys, Dance or even Dennis. The first five generations of this line were all born and/or died in Lowville, Lewis, New York.

PRESSNER



Richard Henneberg and Frances Pressner. Photograph. Abt 1910. Digital image. Privately held by Thomas MacEntee, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Chicago, Illinois. 2008

Frances Pressner was my great-grandmother and was married to Richard Henneberg (1888 - ?). The Hennebergs lived in The Bronx, Bronx, New York and continue to do so today.

I descend along the Pressner line as follows:

Frances Pressner (abt 1889 - 1960)
Anna Henneberg (1912 - 1965)
Jacqueline Austin (private)
Thomas MacEntee (private)

HENNEBERG

Gustave Hennberg was my great-great grandfather. He married Lena (Magdalena) _________ about 1885 and immigrated to the United States from Germany landing in New York around 1891. Three of his sons (Walter, Richard and Gustave) were all born in Liepsig, Germany. The remaining children (John, Lena, William and Frederic) were all born in New York City.

I descend along the Henneberg line as follows:

Gustave Henneberg (1864 - 1942)
Richard Henneberg (1888 - ?)
Anna Henneberg (1912 - 1965)
Jacqueline Austin (private)
Thomas MacEntee (private)

LEEHIVE

John Leehive was my great-great grandfather. Born in Ireland, it is not clear when he arrived in the United States. He lived in Ulster County, New York.

I descend along the Leehive line as follows:

John Leehive (1883 - ?)
Margaret Leehive (1867 - bef. 1900)
John Vincent Slattery (1888 - 1939)
Loretta Margaret Slattery (1920 - 1986)
Richard MacEntee (private)
Thomas MacEntee (private)

More brick walls will be posted later and I'll will try to do this about four times a year with updates.

1 comment:

Randy Seaver said...

Hi Thomas,

This is a good idea for everybody to do - on blogs, on message boards, on mailing lists, etc. The search engines will find the posts if they are out there.

I've found it effective to put the spouse's name along with the name of the brick wall ancestor. This is especially true with more common surnames. I often search for a couple with the names in quotes - e.g. ["isaac seaver" "lucretia smith"] and sometimes even with a place name to differentiate people of the same name.

One reason to add the spouse's name is that you might make contact with someone researching the spouse's surname - and they may have that family Bible or other record that solves your brick wall problem.

Good luck - those are hard cases to crack, it seems.

Cheers -- Randy