Friday, October 3, 2008
Posted by Thomas MacEntee
This is a weekly feature which will document some of the genea-blogger happenings as they relate to Facebook®.
- Since last Friday, the Genea-Bloggers group has increased its membership by 2 more members for a total of 209. But these figures are a bit misleading: we went through the membership lists and realized that we had almost 10 members who asked to join Genea-Bloggers but they never completed their full profiles as Facebook members. Since they weren't Facebook members, we opted to remove them as Genea-Blogger members and hope that at a later date if and when they become full-fledged Facebook members, that they will rejoin us.
- Also, we've added more Admins to the list. Up until this point, the only admins were Miriam Midkiff Robbins and Kathryn Doyle along with me. We've added:
Jasia – Creative Gene
Tim – Walking The Berkshires
footnoteMaven – Shades of the Departed
Lisa – Small Leaved-Shamrock
Terry – Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi
Denise – Family Matters
Jessica – Jessica’s Genejournal
Randy – Genea-Musings
Coleen - Orations of OMcHodoy
As an admin, these members will be able to create events as well as approve requests for membership.
- Speaking of membership, I want to discuss the criteria for membership especially since this is a closed group on Facebook. When someone requests to join the Genea-Blogger groups we first look to see that they have genealogy or family history listed as an interest and that they have a blog or are friends with other Genea-Bloggers. If the requestor doesn't not seem to meet these criteria, we may email and ask them their level of interest, how they found out about our group etc. Then the Admin will make a decision to extend membership or not.
Genea-Bloggers is not meant to be some secret, exclusive society but it is a focused one. And a means of ensuring that focus and having members that will contribute is maintaining our current standards.
- October 15th will be the "triple witching day" of carnivals for Genea-Bloggers! On that date the following carnivals or events require submission of posts:
- Cabinet of Curiosities, hosted this time by yours truly here at Destination: Austin Family;
- Carnival of Genealogy, 58th Edition (tbd); and
- Blog Action Day which is a global posting effort with this year's theme being Poverty.
Again, if anyone has a question as to how to use Facebook®, I'd be happy to help. You can always email me directly but if you post your question as a Discussion Topic at the Genea-Bloggers group, you might find that other members also have the same questions.