Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Meme

Thanks to Lori Thornton over at Smoky Mountain Family Historian for this Christmas meme. The best part is: it isn't a "tag" meme! Tag meme are only fun if you get in on the fun at the start. Otherwise everyone else has been tagged and you are scrambling to tag others. Am I right?

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper although I have a few Mik Wright wine/liquor bags that I purchased on sale last year.  My favorite says "Holidays with the family are always a trip . . . a trip to the liquor store."

2. Real tree or Artificial?
Definitely real.  Last year's tree was a 10.5 foot Fraser fir but since we are downscaling this year,  I've pulled out the elegant gold twig tree.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Never, never, never before Thanks giving but before the Feast of Saint Nicholas on December 6th.  Growing up the tree was actually put up and decorated by Santa on Christmas Eve after I went to bed.

4. When do you take the tree down?
These days it is usually on New Years Day unless I am holding our New Years Open House then it stays up until the Epiphany or "Little Christmas" as I call it.

5. Do you like eggnog?
Love it in all forms - ice cream, candy, etc.  Better with Southern Comfort.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
The gift of life from my mother - I was born on Christmas morning.  I cherish this gift more and more as the years go by.

7. Hardest person to buy for?
My father-in law.  Never certain what to get or what he'll like.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
My partner.  Anything movies, Hollywood or Broadway.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?
No.  I grew up with a very simply nativity scene and have been thinking of purchasing one - perhaps next year.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail.  In the past I've used Hallmark since they would print a message and the return address on the envelopes with free shipping all for $0.99 a card.  But since they seem to be pushing photo cards this year, they've doubled the price to $1.99 a card.  So I took VistaPrint up on their offer: $100 cards with a pre-printed message for $49.99 and free shipping. 

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
My father leaving us when I was 6 - he left right at Christmas.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck - about a Martha Stewart wanna be and what goes wrong during a Christmas photo op.  Hysterical.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Usually all year round but all of it online.  If I catch a deal, I order it and save it for the holidays.  I can't tell you the last time I went to a mall or a department store.  And with our 10.25% sales tax here in Chicago many other people do the same thing.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Not usually.  I don't exchange many gifts with friends or family and I'd be embarassed to recycle a gift to the person who gave it.  Usually I donate gifts to my local charity especially those who could use the gift.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Christmas cookies - especially any of the ones my mother used to make.

16. Lights on the tree?
Clear and non-blinking.  And lots of them - 1500 for a 10 foot tree.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
Right now I am playing through the 1,493 holiday songs I have saved in iTunes.  My favorite if I had to pick one is "In The Bleak Midwinter"

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Usually travel.  It used to be the airports were empty and we'd take off for Puerta Vallarta, Las Vegas or the West Coast.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
Of course - but is it Donner or Donder?

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
I have a very large German glitter glass star by Wendy Addison.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas Eve.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
People losing focus of the real meaning of the season.  The holidays are not about having the latest fad toy or standing in line before Wal-Mart opens only to trample an employee to death in the ensuing madness.  The holidays are not meant to be a blur of shopping and parties.  They require time to be savored and enjoyed and shared.  Sharing is the key word for me and the holidays.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
All natural ornaments inspired by the woods: pheasant feathers, dried pine cones and flowers, berries, earth tones of gold, green, brown and orange.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
Usually something sumptuous that I wouldn't make during the year: prime filet mignon, lobster risotto, etc.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
Does it have to be in the realm of the possible?  If not, for my mother to get better and actually recognize who I am.  If so, employment of some form that best uses my skills.

2 comments:

Midge Frazel said...

So, another similarity..we are both December babies.

Lori Thornton said...

I thought our 9.75% tax was bad! You have us beat!