Monday, December 15, 2008

Dear Genea-Santa

This post was written for the 62nd Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy hosted by Jasia at Creative Gene.

Dear Genea-Santa:

How are you? I hope you are doing well and you aren't overwhelmed by all the wishes from my fellow genea-bloggers. Just so you know, they are a great group of people who really deserve to have their wishes granted this year. Genea-bloggers very often give more than they receive: they assist new genea-bloggers with the ins and outs of blogging about genealogy; they document their own family history so family members and others can read about it in one easy location; and, as you can tell by the Carnival of Genealogy, they like to have fun!

I have three wishes that I'd like you to grant me if you still have any energy left, that is.

Wish #1: Grandma Austin's Cedar Chest

This is one of many items which was lost in the fire back in 1979 when my great-grandparents' home in Grahamsville, New York burned to the ground. I remember Grandma (Therese McGinnes Austin) telling me that one of my ancestors had brought the chest with them when they arrived in the New World but I can't remember who that ancestor was. I'd love to have even one hour to look, feel, and smell that cedar chest and to try and unravel the mysteries that come with it.

Wish #2: Grandma Pressner's Birth Certificate

My great-grandmother Frances Pressner was born about 1889 in Germany - probably Prussia - and her parents are the only set of great-great grandparents for whom I have no information. I'd love to know more about the Pressner side of my family, where they lived both in Prussia and the United States and what brought them to America.

Wish #3: Information on Wouter Dence

Hopefully by just putting his name in this blog, I'll find someone who knows more about Wouter. He was my 6th great-grandfather and finding more about him would break down one of my biggest brick walls. I know there are many variations on the name including Dance, Dennis, Dense, Dents, and more but I can't seem to even get a foothold. He married Claartje Janse Marinus after her first husband, Jacobus Janse VanVorst died.

That's all for now. Genea-Santa have a safe trip this Christmas and please bring holiday joy (and their wishes) to all my fellow genea-bloggers this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes and Happy Holidays!

It's a shame that the chest was lost in the fire. It would certainly be a treasure. Hope your other wishes are granted.