Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Key to Ireland: Unlocking Family Mysteries

This post was written for the 11th Edition of the Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture.

As I've related in several posts, my last name has always been a family mystery - whether it should be MacEntee or McEntee - with various explanations as to how the "a" was added.

The solution of that mystery was the key to opening up a treasure chest of other mysteries including where the McEntees lived in Ireland prior to arriving in the United States.

In one of many emails received from distant cousins, I've been told that the McEntees are from County Monaghan which is in the province of Ulster. It appears that Charles McEntee, my 4th great-grandfather arrived in Salina, Onondaga County, New York around 1800 where he and his wife Mary both died in 1806.

I've found some wonderful online resources for the McEntee family in County Monaghan including the McEntee surname study at the Connors Genealogy Homepage.

Right now I have no excuses for not delving further into my research. I guess I have been so focused on trying to connect Charles' son Edward McEntee with the famous McEntees of Ulster County, New York that I've neglected to realize that this mystery could be better solved by going back to the roots - back to County Monaghan.

No comments: