Monday, October 19, 2009

Genealogy Journal Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday was a productive day given I didn't get out of bed until 10:30 am.  But it was a sunny day which was nice after a week of doom, gloom, rain and highs of 45F!
  • First thing before I even went to Google Reader was to get the Black Sheep Sunday post up on GeneaBloggers.  I usually schedule all the Daily Blogging Theme posts (Black Sheep Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday and Treasure Chest Thursday) on Saturday for the following week but I had forgotten to do so.  It also takes a clear mind since you have to make sure you don't actually post "live" but schedule them.  I also used su.pr to schedule my Twitter and Facebook status postings for the same posts.
  • Did a quick check on the SNGF - A Family's Increase postings and made sure the new ones which came in overnight were tagged so they would show up in the Google Reader widget.
  • Read some amazing blog posts with my morning coffee - some great writing and great genealogy info out there!
  • Worked on my editorial calendar for both GeneaBloggers and DAF.  I am using Evernote and basically created a Microsoft Word calendar based on a table, pasted it into a new notebook, and then list the title/topic of each post I want to put up.  When I do post, I highlight the text in green.  If I don't post something as scheduled, I carry it over to the next day.
  • Posted about "burning a feed" - what it is and why it is important for bloggers - at GeneaBloggers.  This too was in response to an email by a CGSL member.  While the original question was how to get family members to sign up for email alerts when new blog posts are available, I realized I needed to backtrack and post a series on feed burners before I could post the email alerts posts.  I hope to have that one posted by Tuesday, October 20, 2009.
  • Worked on an issue for my cousin Wendy in Long Island related to missing headstones at a cemetery in Queens, New York.  Made some contacts about the concept of "perpetual care" and will see what the genealogy blogosphere can find on this interesting topic.
  • Rest of the night was spent watching some television and making an Italian sausage pasta sauce and shells for dinner.
  • Wow - got to bed at 10:30 pm - amazing!
© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: