Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Genealogy Journal Sunday, November 1, 2009


Another non-blogging day - actually a nice break.
  • Up early (like 4am even with the double whammy of the clock moving back to Standard Time and the one hour time zone change from Chicago!) and worked on some blog reading and answering emails.
  • My aunt made homemade waffles with strawberries and whipped cream for breakfast - heaven!  Her waffles are so good that my uncle had a wooden sign made that hangs over the table which reads "Nan's Waffle House."  Also had homemade maple syrup from my first cousin Kevin and his family.  The syrup was quite dark which my uncle said was typical of last season's crop - there was not much sap and it produced a very dark intense syrup.  I know the prized color is Amber which makes it Grade A but I actually prefer the darker stuff.
  • On the road to Cooperstown, NY and went through Delhi, Oneonta and even a town called Index!
  • Went to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown - and what a difference three years makes! Last time I was here it was July and packed with summer folks.  Plus the museum was under renovation and we couldn't see some exhibits such as the Negro League items as well as the Women's Baseball items.  Now they've renovated the entire place and I have to say the flow is much better, it doesn't seem as crowded and the exhibits are wonderful!
  • Had a late lunch at a restaurant I highly recommend - Alex and Ika's!  Well, if Rachel Ray has been there it has to be good right?  Had some Witte beer from Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown (I am a big fan of wheat beers and Belgian white beers) along with my hand-crafted hamburger with Gorgonzola cheese.  Topped off with the prized Fingerling Fries - the meal was fantastic!
  • Napped back at the hotel and then off to dinner at Nicoletta's Italian Cafe right near the baseball museum - another great meal.  After dinner walked around downtown Cooperstown and am amazed at how many of the upstate New York towns are laid out similarly.  This one has often been called the perfect American small town.  It always reminds me of the town of Bedford Falls in It's A Wonderful Life.
  • Back at the room, caught up on old episodes of Law & Order and on some sleep!
© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: