Monday, November 16, 2009

Genealogy Journal Saturday & Sunday, November 14-15, 2009


And I thought this weekend would be quiet. Despite several social engagements I was able to get quite a bit of genealogy research, writing and learning done!

Saturday
  • Finished the New Genealogy Blogs post at GeneaBloggers with 24 newly discovered blogs just before I left to play Escape from Costco Island. If it weren't for the 100 Holiday Stamps, I would have kept the bill under $100!
  • Speaking of holiday cards, if you are still looking for an easy way to get them done, consider VistaPrint! They have a 50% off sale with free priority shipping right now - I was able to get 100 cards preprinted with names and a message for $49.99. This is the best deal around - just be careful when you order from VistaPrint since they try to sell you almost everything else from return address labels to website design!
  • Off to Elk Grove Village (a suburb near O'Hare Airport) for a niece's birthday party. A great family event with ages 2 months (Stephanie was the quietest, sweetest baby I've seen!) to mid-80s which is a genealogist's dream! Although these were all "in-law" relatives and not direct relations, I was able to get them talking about their own family trees.
Sunday
  • Received the next May I Introduce You To . . . post from Gini Webb of Ginisology. What a trooper she is! Despite having a laptop power cord which suddenly died, she used her husband's laptop to get the post to me. It will be up at GB on Monday afternoon.
  • In the afternoon, I participated in an online chat as part of my Jewish genealogy class at GenClass. A small but wonderfully interactive group hailing from California all the way to Tel Aviv! I found out some interesting facts and we had such a good time that we will be chatting again next Sunday.
  • Sunday evening was cold, chilly and damp - the perfect night for ribs at Twin Anchors! This place is a Chicago institution and one which I'd not yet visited. With only valet parking (the Lincoln Park neighborhood is not easy when it comes to parking) and no reservations, the meal was worth the wait as was the most-excellent beer menu. Of course, our friend Erica then "twisted our arms" and dragged us of to Dairy Queen afterwards. I rolled myself home after that.
© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: