Thursday, November 12, 2009

Genealogy Journal Wednesday, November 11, 2009





Another Veterans Day and I was up early so I could put out the big 8 foot by 5 foot flag on the back deck. I know it only faces the alley (in Chicago, all our services such as garbage, parking and electrical poles are in the alleys - makes the front streets much nicer), but it is out there for all days when the US flag should be flown.
  • I waited until the pre-post of Wordless Wednesday was up so I could post A Day to Remember Veterans 2009 over at GeneaBloggers. I was overwhelmed with not only the number of blog posts (close to 200) but the quality. I should have kept a box of tissues on my desk since they were needed while reading some of the stories posted.
  • I stuck to my Veterans Day tradition and posted about my cousin Kenny over at DAF.
  • I worked on a few pre-posts for the next few days and weeks - it was a bit of a solemn day and I didn't want to post anything light-hearted or off topic.
  • While I was disappointed that the CMA Awards pre-empted my usual Wednesday night television viewing, I happily discovered a POV piece on PBS - The Way We Get By. It is about a group of folks in Bangor, Maine who make sure that every plane of US Troops on their way to or from Iraq and Afghanistan are properly greeted. Very moving documentary that not only illustrates the commitment of these volunteers, but aspects of their personal lives as well. Check your local PBS schedule and see it if you can - a most fitting way to end Veterans Day.
  • Music: more of my Mellow mix. What I am really liking lately are "covers" where the original like 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover is done in an unconventional style like bossa nova or jazz. Also, this may seem weird, but there is an entire genre of female Norwegian jazz singers who are simply amazing. Sidsel Endresen is an example

© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: