Friday, November 20, 2009

Genealogy Journal Thursday, November 19, 2009



A relatively quiet day - not much blogging in fact which is a surprise!
  • I put the finishing touches on the big announcement over at GeneaBloggers - it is all set for 2:00 pm CST on Friday. Hint: if you remember those Advent calendars from your childhood you're really going to love what I have planned in December.
  • The rest of the day was spent researching the GOIAS surname in Kauai, Hawaii. I thought I had it bad with my surname - ugh! I can't believe how many bizarre variations keep showing up in the census: GOERS, GOSIA, GOISA. And one fact that I found very interesting: middle names were not common among the Portuguese in Hawaii. So when they enlisted during World War II, you will often see they use the middle initial V. - for Victor.
© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: