Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I Give Thanks


As my family and I prepare for Thanksgiving, amid a frenzy of cleaning and cooking, I want to pause and note those people and things for which I am truly thankful.
  • Health: although this has not been one of my better years in the health department, I can still wake up, dress myself, prepare a meal and start my day on my own.  For this I am thankful.
  • Family: far-flung as they may be, and crazy as they often are, I appreciate the gift of family especially my in-laws who have continuously welcomed this non-Greek boy as one of their own.  For this I am thankful.
  • Unemployment: believe it or not, being out of work for over a year has been a gift, albeit one which comes with many heavy burdens.  If it were not for my layoff, I don't think I would ever have started this transition to genealogy as a profession.  For this I am thankful and for the ability to see hidden opportunities.
  • Education: growing up poor, my mother knew that a good education was they key to my escape from a life of continual poverty.  And she knew I had to do it myself for it to have value.  Without her constant guidance, I would not be where I am today.  For this I am thankful.
  • Writing: through my various blogs, I've been able to develop a writing style which not only serves as an outlet when times get tough, but as an income stream.  For this I am thankful.
  • Friends: looking back, I can't believe how many wonderful people I've been able to meet - both in real life and virtually - in the genealogy field.  These folks can be counted on for advice, a good laugh, honest feedback and for just being themselves.  I hope everyone would be so lucky to have friends like these.  For them I am thankful.
© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: