[As some readers may know, I've enrolled in the Boston University Online Genealogical Research certificate program starting Wednesday, 13 January 2010 and running over a 14-week period. Here is the first in what will be several installments of my observations of the experience. I will purposely avoid specifics in terms of assignments, reading materials, etc. so as to protect the intellectual property of the course designers as well as the instructors.]
Well, I didn't quite forget that my BU online experience was to start today, but I didn't realize until about 3pm CST that I should login using the BU Vista console and see if any information was available. And it was.
First, let me say that I had already oriented myself to the console application being used and made sure I understood how to check emails, chat with my colleagues, accept and submit assignments and more. I'm a bit disappointed that the console will not work properly on the Google Chrome browser (it does work on Firefox and Safari and of course the old standby Internet Explorer), but I haven't let that prejudice me in any way in terms of my experience. Nor has the use of IE dampened my enthusiasm about this course.
Second, I appreciate the welcome that the instructors and teaching assistants as well as my fellow students have given me.
After the Introductions, I did complete a brief survey about my current genealogy experience, what resources both online and offline I have used, etc. Very simple, and the survey mechanism was easy to use. Some resources such as genealogical societies (both online and offlne) were omitted as well as some others such as Genealogy.com and USGENWEB.
I am now working on my first course and on the assignment which is to transcribe a very old document. Wish me luck and pray that I don't spend most of my time down at the corner drugstore soda fountain listening to bobby-soxer music instead of keeping my head down with my nose in the books. LOL.
© 2010, copyright Thomas MacEntee