Thursday, January 14, 2010

GenClass Ceases Operations



[Note: normally I would post this at the GeneaBloggers.com site but right now the site is disabled as I switch to a new hosting company.]

Thanks to a heads-up post by Michael Hait, the African-American Genealogy Examiner for Examiner.com, I've learned that GenClass has ceased operations beginning in 2010.

You can read the explanation in its entirety at the GenClass site, but it appears that most of the instructors - many of whom I've come to know and respect - will be working with the National Institute for Genealogical Studies.

From a personal standpoint, I enjoyed the Jewish Genealogy class that I took with GenClass in November 2009 and I hope that these offerings continue to be accessible to those looking to improve their genealogy skills.

As the on-line genealogy industry matures, it is not unusual to see consolidation in certain sectors including education.  Over the next few years I predict there will be new offerings (just look at the Boston University online class in which I am currently enrolled) as the demand for genealogy education increases - it is a natural progression for those new to genealogy to want to increase their understanding of the field and acquire skills needed for research.

© 2010, copyright Thomas MacEntee

1 comment:

Kathryn Lake Hogan said...

As a student of NIGS, I find all this quite interesting. Looks like NIGS will be gaining a good group of qualified instructors.