Monday, May 2, 2011

Thanks Kenny - We Got Him


I was busy flipping channels after watching a documentary on PBS about Irina Sendler, and that's when I saw and heard the news about the death of Osama Bin Laden.  And that's when I started crying.

At first I couldn't figure out why I was crying. Was it joy? Certainly it had to be. I never forgot what happened on September 11, 2011 - where I was when I heard the news of what happened back home where I was born.

But after several minutes and as the news settled in, my thoughts immediately went to Kenny - my cousin killed in Iraq in 2005. I make it a point to remember him each and every year, not just around Memorial Day but several times and in several ways including my writing Kenny's Choice - A Veteran's Day Tribute.

Finally I went to bed but the night was filled with restlessness, getting out of bed, watching the television and shedding more tears. And this morning has been no different, as I expect I'll have my "moments" during the day.

The first thing I did when I woke up was to get the flag out - the large 8 x 5 foot one - and hang it from the deck of the house. As I did, I thought about Kenny and what he would think of all this. I know in my heart he must be happy. And I know of the sacrifices he has made and the pain his family has been through. There are never enough ways that you can thank someone for such a sacrifice.

Thanks Kenny. We got him.

© 2011, copyright Thomas MacEntee

8 comments:

jeri said...

Thanks for sharing this story.

Kathy Reed said...

What a tribute! I think your post embodies the feelings that so many of us have today.

DearMYRTLE said...

Your post brings so many tender emotions to the surface. I am thankful for Kenny's service, and honored to know more about a man who gave the last full measure...

Janice said...

Thank you, Thomas, for sharing with us your beautiful tribute to Kenny.

Greta Koehl said...

What a wonderful young man. Thank you for sharing the tribute.

Unpuzzling said...

This country owes so much to the unselfish sacrifices made by people like Kenny. I'm thankful there are individuals like him who are willing to stand up and take risks to protect others. Thank you for sharing Kenny's tribute with us. It is a good flag day.

my Heritage Happens said...

Oh Dang Thomas, you brought tears to my eyes now....

Michelle said...

What a wonderful tribute!! The news of Bin Laden's death provided many raw emotions to many people. The families that still deal with the deaths of their loved ones on a day to day basis are in our prayers!