Monday, January 16, 2012

It's Not Easy Being Abundant



With my mantra for 2012 being one of "abundance," I've been slowly and sometimes painfully realizing that it isn't as easy as it seems to live the abundant life. Seems like it would be, right?  Being open to the bounty before you, in both the genealogy world and in the world in generally. Easy as cake.

Well it isn't.  It takes work.  It isn't just a matter of gathering up all these things that delight you, that open your mind, or that challenge your thinking. You need to choose. You need to discriminate. You need to curate.

That's the difference between someone who curates and someone who hoards: a hoarder gathers somewhat indiscriminately with little purpose besides gathering and possessing.  A curator gathers that which adds value.

I want to add value to my life and to the genealogy community.  I want to interact with those like minds, those curators, those genealogy passionistas.

And so I'm learning that I do need to pick my battles, I do need to decide how and when and why to engage, and I do need to let things go and take their own course without my involvement.  No matter how much others beg me to get involved.

I also need to trust.  If you know the story of the gathering of the manna from Exodus, you know that you could only gather what you could use that very day.  The manna would spoil and turn rotten the next day.  I need to trust that I can gather what I need for the day and that there will still be more abundance tomorrow.

Lesson learned: Do not waste time on negative people and thoughts.  Focus on the good that is in today and the promise of that same good tomorrow. You'll be better for it and so will your genealogy.

Photo: The Gathering of The Manna, ca. 1460-70, Musée de la Chartreuse, Douai, France via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons 3.0 license.

© 2012, copyright Thomas MacEntee

8 comments:

Susi's Quarter said...

Thomas, Well stated and well given. I can actually feel your pain attempting this massive endeavor. For at one time I made that same thought for improvement. One must be always true to oneself first. Hugs lots of them.

Susan Clark said...

Amen,Thomas. None of us, not even one with your seemingly endless supply of energy and enthusiasm, can engage in every dialog or debate. Some problems defy solution because the parties involved resist resolution. Better to walk away.

Caroline said...

It's hard. I know it is. But? It's SO much richer when you don't engage in the negative and focus on the positive. On your positive goals. After all, that's what others are attracted to in you, in all of us. The positive. Not the negative. Keep your eyes on the goal, my friend. Can't wait to see you at Rootstech!!

~C

Greta Koehl said...

I'm glad that you posted this, because it's something that I need to remember in my work (not genealogy, but my day job) right now. Good luck to you in focusing on your priorities.

Anonymous said...

Very well said. I've found when I try to do too many things, I accomplish very little.

"You cannot gather with a full basket" (Family Proverb)

Kerry Scott said...

I missed whatever happened to prompt this, but I am definitely down with choosing your battles. I think if we ALL commit to that, we'll have fewer battles in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Thomas,

Your post was so thought-provoking it has "given birth" to a new post on my blog, I've attributed it to you and linked to your blog entry as well.

Thank you!

Nancy said...

THanks again, Thomas, for such good counsel. I will try to remind myself to be a diligent curator this year.