Friday, January 6, 2012

On Source Citations, Certification and Stepping In It

I should know better than to try to do more than two things at once especially when rushing out the door and on the cell phone with a conference call. But while technology has been a blessing for me and many others, it also has become a curse at times. Plainly put, certain things demand my undivided attention and I need to realize this before I open my big mouth.

So what am I referring to? Well unless you've been following me on Facebook or on my other social media channels, you would have missed the latest kerfuffle for which I take full responsibility. I'm not going to rehash it all right here and now. Let's just say you take a lot of frustration, too little time, a passion for one's profession and hobby, a snarky comment about a bug and then stir it up on social media. You know this recipe by now - a recipe for disaster and a very ugly entree.

I don't want to discuss the issues right now because I am again short on time but there are still many issues in the genealogy community about which I am passionate. And I need to recognize the same passion in others, even on the other side of the table. This is a good reason to get back to posting at my personal blog here - talk about issues like source citations, welcoming those new to the genealogy community, obtaining my CG, etc. For the Reader's Digest version (and it will make more sense to those who've been playing at home) here goes:

  • I stepped in it big time when I made a comment about a specific person and their recent blog post but it appeared as if I were targeting all of those with the Certified Genealogist credential. The comment was snarky, rude and not respectful. I apologize for that, I've apologized to the specific person and I've apologized to several other people so far today.
  • I am a big fan of the Board for Certification of Genealogists and those who've obtained the CG credential. It is a tough one to earn and encompasses quite a bit of work. I hope to be up to the task and soon. It is on my resolution list for 2012 to be completed by the end of 2013.
  • I let many things roll off my back (you'd be surprised what I get in my email on a weekly basis) and usually just consider the source. But a conversation about source citations is one that I just can't leave alone. I'm willing to pick up the thread probably next week over at GeneaBloggers on the Open Thread Thursday posts. More short version: I think everyone should cite their sources, but the choice to post them in a blog post is personal and it does suffice to say, "Please contact me for source citation information."

I do want dialog and I want it to be constructive and respectful. So stay tuned and we'll have a new year filled with topics about genealogy. Don't be surprised if I post more personal and opinionated items here on my personal genealogy blog rather than at GeneaBloggers where I try to post more community-related items. Either way I'll have plenty to say.

© 2012, copyright Thomas MacEntee

8 comments:

kinfolknews said...

Thomas, I am glad you "have plenty to say"! =^)

Susi's Quarter said...

Thomas, Thanks for this information. I was afraid you were upset over my asking and talking about the techie explosion in the community, I would like to see that as a topic soon. Please read my post when you get a chance. I have received some interesting feed back I think we all should be aware of. Thanks for all you do, gee you proved your human and make errors also.

Unknown said...

Thomas, You are a leader in the genealogical community, especially in the social media arena. It takes hutzpah to publicly own up to a "kerfuffle" as you call it and make amends. I personally value your opinions and always look forward to what you have to say.

Denise

Carol Yates Wilkerson said...

You know, I think we all mean well in our own ways. In our special niche we are like a big family with varying levels of skills, personalities and areas of expertise. I don't think any of us are exempt from stepping on toes now and then. We're all learning new things related to genealogy and history while having personal lives to deal with. It's my own personal opinion that none of us are better than the other. We each bring something to the table and have personal value.

Greta Koehl said...

I always tell my daughters that the real sign of maturity and being a grown-up is the ability to sincerely say "I'm sorry" - I somehow missed the origin of the "kerfuffle" and don't want to know anyway, but this makes me respect you even more than before.

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

Yeah, what Greta said! You have always been enormously helpful to me, and were sooooo encouraging when I first dived in to blog (and gee, I hope I can find/make more time to blog this year)and I respect you very much, too!

It does take a mature person to admit when they've goofed. I have a hard time doing it, and age wise, I'm very 'mature' now.

Michael Hait said...

Thank you, Thomas.

Kerry Scott said...

I'm definitely looking forward to the "plenty more to say" part.