Friday, May 24, 2013

Memorial Day 2013


I'm traveling this year for Memorial Day weekend, but my thoughts are never far from my ancestors and family members who served in the military, especially those who died in service for their country.

Above is a photo of my cousin Kenneth VonRonn, who died at the age of 20 while serving in the Army in Iraq. If you don't know Kenny's story, please take a minute and read it here. I never get tired of telling this story and I hope I never will.

For my readers here in the United States, please take a minute to tell your own story of someone who served - whether it is in a blog post, out on social media, or even to a stranger while having coffee or a beer. If we don't remember our loved ones who made the ultimate sacrifice and if we don't keep telling the story, then that sacrifice is diminished. And it fades away and is lost to history.

There are stories like Kenney's to be told. Tell them, especially this weekend.

© 2013, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: