Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I Give Thanks - 2013 Edition


It's that time once again for this year's edition of I Give Thanks. As I do each year around this time, I am looking back at my life in 2013 and everything for which I am thankful. And at the same time I am setting my plans and goals for 2014.

This year, I give thanks for . . .
  • My ancestors whose efforts, perseverance and yes, even their mistakes and failures, helped bring me forth. I owe my life to them.
  • A country where I can enjoy many freedoms. And a huge thank you to the men and women in all branches of the US military who work and fight to keep those freedoms for us all.
    • The ability to get out of bed each morning, of my own will and strength; the ability to dress myself and cook for myself and family. There are many who can't do the simple things that each day I take for granted. I also thank the caregivers who help those who struggle with these daily tasks.
    • The wisdom to understand the difference between what I must do and what I want to do. Most days I am truly blessed, for they are the same.
    • That I live in a time and place where I can be who I am.  And I can accept others as they are.  And I can voice an opinion.  And I can listen to the views of others.
    • The knowledge that ABUNDANCE and the ability to let go is a true blessing. My mother, a wise woman if there ever was one, once told me "Let go of what you are holding on to. Only then can your palm be open and face up to receive the next good thing coming your way." Words I live by each and every day.
    • The desire to play the entire keyboard that is life, not just the most common keys.
    • My partner of almost 14 years who celebrates me at my best and still loves me at my worst. He appreciates that I've never been on America's Most Wanted, that I've never owned anything Hello Kitty, that I can find Waldo almost every time, and loves it when I'm opinionated. He knows I would follow him anywhere, and that I have. And we both know that it just gets better every year.
    • A vibrant and generous community of genealogists and family historians including those I only know in the online world. Each and every day you challenge me to look at genealogy from new perspectives, you share your knowledge and resources without a second thought, and you encourage me to get back up and do the genealogy dance despite bouts of occasional ill-conceived reasoning and mistakes.
    • The family of fellow geneabloggers, how they inspire me, how they challenge me, how they make me think.  They are more than just a group of memory gatherers: they animate facts such as birth dates and death dates; they bring to life how their ancestors lived and loved; and they often share the personal, from reflections to feelings, from past to present.
    • A career in genealogy and family history, doing what I absolutely love.
    • Knowing that the greatest prison people live in is the fear of what other people think. And that only dead fish go with the flow.
    • A roof over my head and a meal on the table each and every day in 2013. I'd like to do this one again in 2014, please.
    • The responsibility and duty of caring for an aging parent.  I am thankful for the journey that is and has been Mom. Where we've traveled, especially in the past 13 years, is not a trip you'll ever find in a guide book.  Despite all that's been written about Alzheimer's Disease, especially early-onset, no guide book exists, for each journey is unique.  
    • To my mother. I can never say thank you enough to the woman who brought me into this world and to someone from whom I learned life's lessons.  Mom gave me my work ethic, my sensitivity, my love of learning.  We didn't always agree, but she also let me know that was okay too.  She also taught me how to say, "Thank You."
    • The friends and loved ones who have passed on this year and what their lives meant to me.
    • A universe that bends towards justice.
    • Memories of what was and the hope for what may be.
    I give thanks.

    © 2013, copyright Thomas MacEntee

    2 comments:

    Lori E said...

    What a wonderful list. I wish you all of it and more. People who look for the things in life that are good have good lives.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Thomas.

    GeniAus said...

    Thanks for sharing this list, Thomas. It caused me to reflect on my lot in life and to give thanks for the many blessings that have been bestowed in me.