Friday, February 13, 2009

My iGene Award Winners!


This post was written for the 66th Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy hosted by Jasia at Creative Gene.

I'm ready for the second annual Academy of Genealogy and Family History iGene Awards and here are what I think are my best blog posts of 2008:

Best Picture

My favorite photo of this past year came from my parents' wedding album and it is this photo of my mother looking in a mirror before the wedding ceremony.  I was lucky enough to rescue the entire album when I cleaned out Mom's house in 2007.  The post was A Small Town Wedding and submitted for one of my favorite carnivals, Smile for the Camera.

Best Screen Play

Easy.  It would have to be The Summer Jar which I wrote in July, 2008 for another carnival - the 3rd edition of Smile for the Camera.  In the post which is in the genre of autobiographical fantasy, I talk of summers spent at the home of my great-grandparents in Grahamsville, New York.

Best Documentary

In March 2008, I discussed the accent that I have when speaking and those that I heard around me while growing up in What American Accent Do You Have?  I am still amazed to this day that I don't have a heavy New York accent like my mother.
 
Best Biography

My post about John McEntee, an ancestor who played a crucial role in the Civil War, was fascinating to research and a labor of love.

Best Comedy

The funniest post of the year had to be Obit Madness - Ida Mae Russell Sills.  Even when I see the photo of this vibrant, lively, firecracker of a woman I just have to laugh.  If you've never heard of a humorous obituary - and you are aghast at even the concept - I beg you to read the one for Ida Mae.  But the post about enemies feeding pickles to babies has to be a close second.

Thanks to Jasia for another go around of these awards.  I can't tell you how rewarding it was just to review all 416 posts that I put up here at this site last year!

1 comment:

footnoteMaven said...

I loved the Summer Jar! It's one of my all time favorite blog posts. So glad you gave it a curtain call!

-fM