Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pardon me geneabloggers, for I have . . .

. . . become a true genealogy junkie. It is my all consuming passion to the point where I want it to become my profession. To the point where I can eat, sleep and dream about dead relatives.

Sound familiar? As part of Randy Seaver's usual Saturday Night Fun feature at Genea-Musings, this week he is asking fellow geneabloggers to unload and confess in True Confessions of a Genealogy Junkie.

1. When did you start genealogy research?

While I had looked up a few things back in 1982 at The National Archives while I was attending college at The George Washington University, I really didn't get started until 1995.

2. Why did you start doing research?

My mother gave me an original copy (only 100 were ever printed) of Genealogy of David Putman and His Descendants. It was published in 1916 by George W. Putman, my 7th Cousin Five Times Removed, and it traces my family's history back to Johannes Putman who arrived in New York in 1661.

3. What was your first big success in research?

Locating information on my Crandall relations in Rhode Island and noting the connections between the Austin and Crandall families.

4. What is your biggest genealogy regret?

Not interviewing my great-grandmother Threse McGinnis Austin who died in 1988.

5. What are you best known for in the genealogy world?

I'm the Perle Mesta of the genealogy blogging world. I enjoy bringing other genealogy and family historian fans together online so they can share their skills and resources - and hopefully break down some brick walls!

6. What is your professional status in genealogy?

Right now none - but I have some goals set for the rest of 2009 which include some form of certification in the genealogy field, trying to hit the lecture circuit at various genealogy conferences and more. I have 25 years of information technology experience which I've focused solely on the legal field. Now I want to share my expertise and skills with what I feel is a much more appreciative audience.

7. What is your biggest genealogy achievement?

Still in progress but finally demystifying the story about my surname MacEntee and how the "a" was added in.

8. What is the most FUN you've had doing genealogy?

Finding a community of like-minded people who want to blog about their genealogy research - and it is fun every single day. It would be difficult for me to say that one day has been more fun than another - it is that consistent!

9. What is your favorite genealogy how-to book?

Easy. Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace by Elizabeth Shown Mills. I could not survive a day of research without this book.

10. What notable genealogist would you like to meet someday?

Do I need to pick just one? I have to follow my heart and say it would be Jasia of Creative Gene. She is my geneablogging "soul sistah" since it was her blog that I first found and I became hooked on blogging about my family history. Jasia and I connected right away and I owe her so much: she has reached out time and time again (not just to me, but the entire geneablogging community) and gives freely of her advice, her ups and downs, her humor. I hope to meet her this summer since she'll be on the other side of Lake Michigan!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Thomas,
You are done for now! There is no known cure once you have been bitten by the genealogy bug. Ain't it great to be a genealogy junkie?!
Kathryn

Brenda said...

http://hte46.blogspot.com/2009/03/true-confessions-of-genie-junkie.html

My True Confessions! ;)

Jasia said...

XXXOOOXXX

I look forward to meeting you too Thomas!

Thank you for your very kind remarks about me. I am and will remain your number one fan!

Dorene from Ohio said...

Outstanding blog post!!

I too am totally addicted to genealogy!

Family Curator said...

Thomas, you're at the top of my Faves List. Can't wait to attend one of your genealogy master talks -- please keep sharing your tech savvy with us too.