Monday, November 30, 2009

Genealogy Journal Catch-Up!


Somehow I've fallen behind on my genealogy journal posts. The most likely culprit is Thanksgiving preparations and then some out-of-town company over the weekend.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009
  • It was a very slow blogging day for most folks as they prepped for the big day tomorrow.
  • I worked on entering my David Putman descendants into my new genealogy database on RootsMagic 4 as well as becoming familiar with the source citation templates. Although I've always felt more familiar with Family Tree Maker, I think I need to fully understand each of the major softwares for genealogy and I'm committed to doing this with RootsMagic as well as Legacy Family Tree and a few others.
Thursday, November 26, 2009
  • A busy day in the kitchen for me - thank goodness for pre-scheduled posts!
  • After cooking for close to seven hours (Roast Turkey basted in butter and Chardonnay, stuffing, potatoes lyonnaise, ginger glazed carrots, homemade refrigerator rolls, sweet potatoes, squash, homemade cranberry sauce), guests arrived and we had a nice leisurely dinner from 5:00 until after 10:00 pm!
  • We did discuss genealogy and lots of family memories. There was also good news all-around from new employment opportunities to finally closing on the sale of the family house which has been up on the market for over three years! May this be a portent to a much better year and decade starting in 2010!
Friday, November 27, 2009
  • I've come to the realization that I still have lots to do for pre-posting the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories posts and I better get cracking!
  • At GeneaBloggers, I made sure the Weekly Events post was up - took more time than usual since there are special events such as ACCM, Holiday Cookbook and more!
  • Since I am not a Black Friday shopper (and usually I am anti-consumerist but because of the economy I've been encouraging folks to spend as much as they comfortably can), I had lots of time for genealogy research!
Saturday, November 28, 2009
  • Played Escape from Costco Island and got out of there in a record 11 minutes and under $100! Woot! Also picked up a few things at the grocer's but we'll be living on leftovers for the next week.
  • Posted the New Genealogy Blogs post at GeneaBloggers - some great ones even though this was a light week with only six new blogs.
  • Overnight guests arrived on their way home to St. Paul, Minnesota. We had appetizers and rolled out the bar cart before going off to Tapas Las Ramblas at the end of the street for tapas. Next was off to George's Ice Cream where I experienced the Kitty Kitty Bang Bang flavor: cheesecake with raspberry swirl and crushed Oreo cookies.
  • Came home and saw that Randy Seaver had posted his Saturday Night Genealogy Fun which dealt with celebrity look-alikes. You know I couldn't resist participating! I was a bit surprised by the results - historically people say I look like Bruce Willis and he didn't even appear in my top eight celebrities!
Sunday, November 29, 2009
  • Early in the morning (I was up until 4:00 am) I took care of all the Daily Blogging Theme posts for the week including Black Sheep Sunday. I am considering making some changes to the actual themes beginning in 2010. I think Tombstone Tuesday and Wordless Wednesday should stay since they are the most popular but others might change since new theme topics would allow others to participate. I may post a poll asking for feedback.
  • Posted the SNGF rollup at GB since many folks participated - lots of fun to actually see the photos of bloggers!
  • Made a huge breakfast for guests before they undertook the seven hour drive back to St. Paul. Spent the rest of the day napping and working on the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories.
© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: