Friday, January 4, 2008

My Ancestors In 1908

Lisa over at 100 Years In America poses a "family history challenge" as it were: Where Was Your Family in 1908? Since Lisa has asked me to "thrown down," here's what I can relate about my ancestors and that year:

John Ralph Austin - my great-grandfather would start the year off turning 12 in late January downstate in the Bronx, New York. While he grew up in Lowville, Lewis County, New York, he and the rest of the family closed the butcher shop they owned off of State Street to resettle in New York City. The Lowville Journal-Republican has several articles mentioning Ralph visiting his grandmother, Catherine Sullivan O'Keefe during the summer of 1908. He probably arrived and departed via the New York Central & Hudson railroad which went on to Ottawa, Canada as its final destination.

Therese Rose McGinnes- my great-grandmother and wife of John Ralph was about to turn 14 years old in Manhattan, New York where she had lived all her life. Her father had already left their mother, Bridget Farren, and the six girls to fend for themselves.

My great-grandparents Richard Henneberg and Frances Pressner had met in Germany and were married right around 1908 in the Bronx, New York. Over the next 15 years they would welcome six children into the fold.

My great-grandparents Elmer A. MacEntee and Margaret DeGroodt were living about 90 miles north of New York City, in the Ulster County region, mostly Ellenvile and Shawangunk. By 1908 four of their 11 children would have been born.

My great-grandparents John Vincent Slattery and Loretta Margarete Dorothea Krom were located one county over, in Orange County, New York but had not yet even met. They would be married within the next five years.

No comments: