Tuesday, May 6, 2008

His Maiden Name Was Buday

There is an interesting article across the Reuters newswire this morning: a Los Angeles man has won the right to take his wife's name as his married last name.

It appears that California, and 40 other states, make it much easier for a woman to take her husband's last name (or actually any version of that last name such as a compound name, etc.) but impossible for a man to take his wife's last name without mounds of paperwork, processing fees and a court appearance.

Michael Buday, who married Diana Bijon, said, "It was personal. I feel much closer to (Diana's) father than I do mine. She asked me to take her name and I thought it would be very simple. I never imagined the state would make it so difficult."

I know that many of us have posted about various issues involving surnames including a "matriname" - how does this figure into some of your views on married names?

No comments: