Friday, September 19, 2008

The Week In Faceook: 9/19/2008



This is a weekly feature which will document some of the genea-blogger happenings as they relate to Facebook®.

- Since last Friday, the Genea-Bloggers group has increased its membership by 18 more members for a total of 193. We are fast approaching our 200th member!

If you know anyone who manages a genealogy or family history related blog, please encourage them to join the Genea-Bloggers group at Facebook. Remind them that ours is a welcoming, supportive community of like-minded people who not only blog, but encourage each other in terms of their writing and their use of current technology.

- New events have been added including a Genea-Blogger Yearbook challenge by Colleen at Orations of McOhodoy. This one sounds fun since you use a free online-program called YearbookYourself to upload your photo and create "looks" including the 1960s beehive hair for women and the mullett or camaro cut for me. Good times.

And don't forget there is another Scanfest coming up on Sunday, September 28th. Miriam at AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors has agreed to let me organize a Skype-based "voice session" that can accommodate up to 24 callers. This would mean a conference call and I'm not sure we can handle the pandemonium of 24 crazy caffeine-addled scanners talking over each other. We have trouble behaving in a simple instant messenger program! Stay tuned.

Again, if anyone has a question as to how to use Facebook®, I'd be happy to help. You can always email me directly but if you post your question as a Discussion Topic at the Genea-Bloggers group, you might find that other members also have the same questions.

3 comments:

Sheri Fenley said...

OOhh, Ooohh pick me! I have never, ever skyped before. I am sure it is on my list of things to do before I turn 60.

Sheri Fenley

M. Diane Rogers said...

Sorry I'll miss the ScanFest this weekend, but I'll be away. I'm sure some of the faster ones will be happily scanning, talking, typing, eating, calculating, organizing, etc. all at once. Should be fun. 'See you' next time...I'll likely be 'all thumbs' though, at least at first. Haven't Skyped for a while. I was just getting the idea of the messaging!

Thomas MacEntee said...

Diane - you are in luck - Scan fest is not until the 28th of September - it is next weekend. So perhaps we will see/talk to you then?

Thomas