Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Trip to the Huguenot Historical Society



Great Room in the Bevier-Elting House. Digital image, taken Sunday, Ocotber 26, 2008 in Mount Tremper, New York. Privately held by Thomas MacEntee, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Chicago, IL. 2008.

I just came back from a short trip home and while I was there I took advantage of being so close to New Paltz, New York and scheduled a tour of my ancestors' homes.

The Huguenot Historical Society maintains a collection of seven original stone houses and one reconstructed church along Huguenot Street which has been called "America's oldest street."

I joined the society several months ago know that I'd would be in to see my Mom sometime in October. Tours are not conducted after November 1, so this past Sunday, October 26th was really my last chance.

Over the next few posts I'll take you on a tour of the Hugo Freer house which was built by my 9th great-grandfather as well as the Bevier-Elting house and the reconstructed French Church where many of my ancestors were baptized, worshipped and are buried.

I was able to learn quite a bit about the daily life of these early settlers and it was quite a feeling to be in the same house built by Hugo Freer and inhabited by his children and descendants.

2 comments:

Kathryn Lake Hogan said...

Greetings Thomas,
Way cool to be in the home of your 9th(!) great-grandfather. I must say I am a bit green with envy. ;-)
Kathryn

Becky Wiseman said...

Hi Thomas, I'm looking forward to your posts on the Freer family. Hope to get there someday to visit...