Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks - What I Am Thankful For


Julie Cahill Tarr over at GenBlog by Julie has a great meme started called "Thanksgiving Meme & a Game of Tag." You can get more information over at the Genea-Bloggers group at Facebook by clicking here. And if you aren't already a member of the Genea-Bloggers group consider signing up!

It is difficult for me to slim my list of items for which I am thankful down to just two. Even with a tough holiday season coming up due to unemployment and trying to start a new business, and some health issues - I always try to see the glass as half full and my basket filled with thankful items.

Technology

This is a no-brainer for me, but by listing it I hope others will think about even the little bits of technology they take for granted. I am thankful I live in an age where technological advances are made every day. Having worked in the Information Technology field for the past 25 years, I've come to appreciate the many changes and innovations made in the computing field. What I hope is that we can place these creations in perspective both from a personal standpoint and in a historical perspective.

Right now I can't conceive of a world or my life without an Internet connection. But I think about what life was like before the Internet and consider how people interacted differently, for better or worse. I worry that my Internet usage can easily disconnect me from people but at the same time I look at groups like Genea-Bloggers on Facebook and realize I would never have been able to connect with so many wonderful people otherwise.

I try to remember that the technology itself is "innocent" and the good or bad comes from how we choose to use it, or not use it, in our daily lives.

Health

This has been a tough year for me battling increasingly painful osteo-arthritis in both hips and weight gain. I am improving and in fact November has seen great strides made especially at the gym, working with a trainer, etc. Even with these issues, I am grateful I have full use of most of my body parts and all five senses are still intact despite the ravages of age. I am able to get up each morning, get out of bed, dress myself, prepare a meal, look out my patio window and get started with my day. In keeping with my upbringing and what my mother and great-grandmother taught me, there are many people who have it much worse than I do. I consider myself blessed and trust that I am where I am and in the state of health I am for a reason.

There is so much more to be thankful for and I'll think about those things on Thursday as I sit down with family and celebrate.

And I now tag Apple over at Apple's Tree!

No comments: