Saturday, September 19, 2009

SNGF - Ahnentafel Roulette

This week's edition of Saturday Night Genealogy Fun has been posted by Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings:

1) How old is your father now, or how old would he be if he had lived? Divide this number by 4 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."

2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ahnentafel. Who is that person?

3) Tell us three facts about that person with the "roulette number."

4) Write about it in a blog post on your own blog, in a Facebook note or comment, or as a comment on this blog post.

5) If you do not have a person's name for your "roulette number" then spin the wheel again - pick your mother, or yourself, a favorite aunt or cousin, or even your children!

Here are my results:

1. Well using my father's age of 70, I come up with a "roulette number" of 17.

2. Using my Ahnentafel report, the person designated number 17 is Elmira Wood, my great-great grandmother.

3. Elmira Wood was born on December 10, 1851 in New York City. On March 11, 1874, she married John W. McEntee at Guilford, Chenango County, New York. She died on her birthday - December 10 - 1882 at Gardiner, Ulster County, New York and is buried at the New Paltz Rural Cemetery in New Paltz, New York.

I have to admit that my Wood line is one that I've not pursued very much and it could use some work. To me, this is why Randy's games are not just "games" - they are exercises that spur us to take a closer look at our research and jog our memories or remind us of further work that we need to do.

No comments: