Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Weird Family . . . Names That Is

This week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenge has been put forth by Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings. Here are the details:

1) What is the most unique, strangest or funniest combination of given name and last name in your ancestry? Not in your database - in your ancestry.

2) Tell us about this person in a blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a comment on Facebook.

3) Okay, if you don't have a really good one - how about a sibling of your direct ancestors?

Actually this is a very tough one for me - perhaps because I have worked so closely with researching my ancestors for the past 15 years that their names no longer seem weird - not even the Dutch or Huguenot ones!

I would have to say the most unusual for me is Pedda Everett (1798 - 1879), my 4th great-grandmother. She is descended from Richard Everett (b. abt 1600 in England, died 1682 in Suffolk, Massachusetts) and married into my Austin line. Her husband was Ira Austin Sr. (1800 - 1872) and they must have met in Lowville, New York with Pedda's family having migrated there in the early 1800s.

Pedda's first name has always been an issue since I can't figure out if it is a derivative of another name or a typo. In her death notice she was mentioned as Peggy and I've even seen the name as Predda.


© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: