Monday, November 23, 2009

Genealogy Journal Saturday & Sunday, November 21-22, 2009


A fairly quiet weekend - I love this time of year even though the holiday season can make it busy.  There is more time to spend on genealogy and research.

Saturday
  • Managed to get the New Genealogy Blogs post up as well as pre-posted the rest of the Daily Blogging Theme posts at GeneaBloggers. Next week will be busy cleaning the house and getting set to have family over for Thanksgiving Dinner with yours truly doing the cooking.
  • Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening at my friend Erica's setting up her new Dell laptop. It is an Inspiron 15 series - very nice but too big and heavy for my tastes - I've become more of a netbook fan. The setup was no problem except for a glitch with the ISP where Comcast had to be called. After the setup we were served a great dinner of steak meat pies with green beans and cherry pie!.
Sunday
  • Took care of reading blog posts - lots of nice Most Recent Unknown Ancestor posts as part of Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun. I need to work on my own post as well as do the SNGF rollup.
  • Spent a few hours getting the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories posts for December automated. It will be a busy month for me and as much as I can do to automate the process, the better.
  • A very quiet day - lots of time spent on client research for the GOIAS and MEDEIROS lines in Kauai, Hawaii. I am very impressed at the number of records and stories preserved for the migration of Portuguese from the Azores to Hawaii.
  • At 11:30 am I had an online chat with the other students in the Jewish Genealogy class at GenClass. Again this was an hour that just flew by and was filled with information and resources. I think for the price, the classes at GenClass are a great value especially if you want to explore areas of genealogy research with which you are unfamiliar.
  • At 1:00 pm it was time for Scanfest! We had a great crowd and I worked on scanning old letters from my mother and her siblings. One that caught my eye was from April 1953 and had news clippings of a "mystery light" phenomenon at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Jersey City. I will need to do some research on this.
  • Dinner: broiled chicken breast and penne pasta with four cheese sauce, Caesar salad.
© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee

No comments: