Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Weekly Planner: Favorites


In honor of Family History Month, the 24/7 Family History Circle site has listed a set of "challenges" to assist people in writing their own personal history.

The fourth topic is Favorites.

What is your favorite book and why?
I lean towards non-fiction books - perhaps because I am a Capricorn and such a realist. One book that I recently returned to, because it is so touching and so true and similar to my current situation, is Death in Slow Motion - My Mother's Descent into Alzheimer's by Eleanor Cooney.

What is your favorite movie and why?
Dolores Claiborne with Kathy Bates. My mother and I saw this movie in Washington, DC in 1995 when it was released. It is absolutely fascinating and the story of a powerful women who isn't willing to accept the life she's been dealt.

Where is your favorite place in the world and why?
I lived in San Francisco for close to 20 years. Despite its many problems, it is a fascinating and breathtaking city - probably the most European feeling city this country has. But now I always want to be around my friends and family especially here in Chicago.

What is your favorite time of day? Are you a morning person, an afternoon person, or a night owl?
I am a morning person for sure. But for someone with insomnia like me, the morning often starts at 2:00 am. And also, since I work for a global law firm and have to support users in different time zones, it seems I never sleep.

I like the tranquility of morning - right now I can hear the Canadian geese flying south for the winter and watch the sun coming up over Lake Michigan. Give me my 20 ounce coffee mug filled with life-giving caffeine and a computer and I am in heaven.

What is your favorite holiday?
It has to be Christmas which I know seems so cliche. I was born on Christmas Day and that probably has something to do with it.

Photo: My mother, Jacqueline Austin MacEntee, looking out over Ocean Beach, San Francisco in May, 1997.

No comments: