Thursday, February 21, 2008

Living Relative Connections: Follow-up Number Two

In my post on Living Relative Connections: Follow-up, I discussed my motiviations for and attempts at contacting my brother as well as my father. As readers might remember I have not had any contact with my brother in close to three years and with my father for close to 35 years.

I have some good news on the brother front. Since my post on February 2, 2008 sending my brother birthday wishes, I have received word, via e-mail, that he is alive and well and safe. That is really all I asked for, so I do believe that wishes and wants can come true. The person who reached out and made contact with me was not Michael but someone close to him who knows his current situation - and they even sent me a current photo! Thrilled and relieved is not the word.

My brother may or may not have valid reasons for not communicating with me or the rest of the family but I can't be the one to judge their validity. I believe that over time he will make a decision to initiate contact and I just want him to feel comfortable doing so. The person who knows him has my email address and I need to just let the matter sit as it is now. And trust that he will contact me when he is ready. I just want him to know that I love him and that I will be here for him.

4 comments:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I'm glad that you received word about your brother. Hopefully he'll be ready to contact you personally at some point.

Lidian said...

I'm really glad that you were able to get word about your brother.

Elizabeth O'Neal said...

Great news that you got word on your brother! Like Apple said, hopefully he'll be ready to contact the family at some point in the future.

Colleen said...

This is great news from my standpoint! I have a brother who chose to split from the family over 10 years ago, and I haven't heard from him since. I have maintained contact and visits with his daughter, though and she fills me in from time to time as to his whereabouts. I hope for the same thing as you: that one day he'll want to reconnect and feel comfortable to call.