Saturday, May 17, 2008

Today Is Armed Forces Day


In the United States, Armed Forces Day is the third Saturday in May and commemorates the consolidation of all the military services into the Department of Defense. Prior to 1949 our armed forces were considered separate entities (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard) and each had its own commemmoration day.

So if you don't fly the flag every day, today is a great day to do so. I have a huge 5 x 8 foot flag used to drape a coffin during a military funeral and I always hang it (in the proper direction of course!) off the back deck. I'm sure my neighbors have no idea it is Armed Forces Day but perhaps they'll see it and ask!

[Note: if you want to learn more about how the United States flag should be displayed and when, click here.]

2 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

Here in Spokane we celebrate Armed Forces Day with the Lilac Festival/Armed Forces Day Parade. With nearby military installations such as Fairchild Air Force Base, Ft. George Wright, and Farragut Naval Station, we get a nice selection of military displays along with the typical high school bands and community floats.

JEWELGIRL said...

I had no idea about Armed
Forces Day! I am sad I missed
it. :(