Saturday, November 1, 2008

Today is Data Backup Day!



Wow, another month has flown by and here it is time to backup data once again! As I do (and I hope many of you at least entertain the idea of doing), I will spend some time organizing files and backing them up to my 250gb External Hard Drive.

I've decided to wait until next month to highlight external hard drives, thinking that many of you might want to ask Santa to slide one under your tree this Christmas. I'll also be highlighting other hardware and software apps which make up a genea-blogger's "dream machine."

This month, I want to highlight the many options available for online storage. Many of the programs listed below have a free option - with a limited amount of storage such as 2GB or 5GB - and they also have a paid option. Your only limitation is your "upload" speed which is usually 25% of your download speed (example: if my download speed on DSL is 1.5 Mbps (megabits per second) then the upload speed will be about 360 kps).

The list below is posted, maintained and constantly updated at Lifehacker.




Photo: Backup Backup Backup - And Test Restores at Flickr courtesy of Topato

No comments: