Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Sharp Dressed Man



Ed Farren and Floss, abt 1905. Digital photograph. Privately held by Thomas MacEntee, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Chicago, Illinois. 2009.

This post was composed for the 10th Edition of Smile For The Camera ~ A Carnival of Images

The photo above is of my 2nd Great Grand Uncle, Edward Farren, who was born at Donegal, County Tyrone, Ireland on February 8, 1880. The woman in the photo is only identified a "Floss" which I assume is short for Flossie. I am not certain if this is Edward's wife and her identity is one of the many mysteries waiting to be solved in my genealogy research.

I love this photo mostly because of the "costumes" that both subjects are wearing. Most viewers might automatically focus in on Floss' outfit especially the wonderful shoes which had to be put on with a shoe hook. The coat is bold with its wool plaid pattern and contrasting black trim and huge black buttons.

But it is the image of the dapper man that should get noticed. From the shoes to the celluloid collar, the photo shows that men could be just as "put together" as women. His look reminds me of the Arrow Collar ads by the illustrator J.C. Leyendecker from the 1910s and 1920s. I also figure that a man's outfit like this probably cost a pretty penny - as much as a woman's outfit, I bet - and that is why the costume was most likely his "Sunday best."

1 comment:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

They are both well turned out and I love his hat. Hats really should make a comeback. I wonder why they chose to have their picture taken with their overcoats on?